The Governor General’s Innovation Awards is an ongoing national awards program, sustained through both public and private financial contributions and through the efforts of numerous organizations across Canada.
The Canada Foundation for Innovation manages the selection process, drawing on the knowledge and expertise of highly accomplished individuals from all sectors of society.
The Canadian Science and Technology Museums Corporation supports the initiative through public education and outreach by showcasing and promoting Canada’s outstanding innovation success stories.
The Rideau Hall Foundation gathers and aligns contributions from philanthropic and corporate sectors.
Drawn from all sectors of society, and authorized by the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General, nominating partners seek out, gather and submit nominations on behalf of their members, clients, partners and associates. Nominating partners include organizations that currently deliver innovation-related awards programs and other organizations that work to support and promote innovation across Canada. In addition to providing a consistent and sustainable flow of nominations on an annual basis, partners assist in promoting the program and generating visibility across the country.
The nominating partners have been selected on the basis of the following considerations:
- Reputation: publicly recognized as well-respected and credible
- National significance: by their nature, pre-eminent, high-profile and “top of their field”
- Sustainability: in their institutional, financial and operational activities
- Integrity of governance and decision-making processes (and, if currently bestowing awards, integrity and neutrality in the nominations and selection processes.)
List of Nominating Partners
Governor General’s Innovation Awards Advisory Committee
This committee, made up of highly accomplished Canadians from all sectors, provide oversight and strategic direction for the program.
Co-chaired by His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada and Tom Jenkins, Chair of OpenText Corporation
- Dr. Howard Alper, Past Chair of the Science, Technology and Innovation Council
- Alex Benay, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation
- Timothy Brodhead, Senior Fellow at Social Innovation Generation
- Paul Desmarais, Jr., Chair and Co-Chief Executive Officer of Power Corporation and Executive Co-Chair of Power Financial
- Arlene Dickinson¸ Chief Executive Officer of Venture Communications
- Scott Haldane, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Rideau Hall Foundation
- John Knubley, Deputy Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Paul Lee, Managing Partner at Vanedge Capital
- Monique F. Leroux, President of the International Cooperative Alliance
- The Honourable Kevin G. Lynch, Vice-Chair of BMO Financial Group
- The Honourable John P. Manley, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Business Council of Canada
- David Moorman, Senior Advisor of Policy and Planning at Canada Foundation for Innovation
- Frank O’Dea, Entrepreneur, humanitarian and author
- Gilles G. Patry, President and Chief Executive Officer of Canada Foundation of Innovation
- John C. Risley, President and Chief Executive Officer of Clearwater Fine Foods Incorporated
- Darcy Ross, Manager, Science and Innovation Sector of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Terry Stuart, Chief Innovation Officer at Deloitte Canada
- Annette Verschuren, Executive Chair and Chief Executive Officer of NRStor
- Stephen Wallace, Secretary to the Governor General
- Faye Wightman, President and Founder of FLW Consulting and Management Services Inc.
- The Honourable Wayne G. Wouters, Former Clerk to the Privy Council